The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center Newsletter was created for individuals who have vasculitis, know someone with vasculitis, or have an interest in vasculitis.
Because of financial constraints, the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center Newsletter ceased publication in 2005. An outline of past issues is located below. A copy of the newsletter can be viewed and printed using Adobe Acrobat Reader. This can be downloaded at no cost.
Fall 2005 (Open complete newletter)
- A Patient Story: Inner Voices (A doctor and patient’s struggle with complex illness and prednisone)
- Know Your Medications: Prednisone (part 1 of 2)
- Ask the JHVC: Prednisone: What’s Happening to me? (part 1 of 2)
- Patient Perspectives: Travelogue of a Clinical Trials Participant (Rachel and John Brownlee)
- All in the Family: The Family Genetics Study in Systemic Vasculitis
- The JHVC in the News: Dr. Hellmann New Vice Dean of Bayview
- New Ways to Reach the JHVC
- Clinic Corner: Insurance Hand-off
Spring/Summer 2005 (Open complete newletter)
- A Patient Story: Life is for Giving (Mrs. Seema Agarwal-Harding – Takayasu’s and Fibromuscular dysplasia)
- Patient Perspectives: Working tward Finding a Sense of Purpose
- Mycophenolate Mofetil (CellCept)
- Proteomics for Poets
- Ask the JHVC: Diet and Medication (part 2 of 2)
- Know your Medications: Erythropoietin
- The JHVC: In the News
- Clinic Corner: Registration and Check Out
Winter 2005(Open complete newsletter)
- A Patient Story: Innovations in Sound and Medicine (Dr. Sidney Harman – Polymyalgia Rheumatica)
- The Rest of the Story: Follow-up on David Standon
- Patient Perspectives: Winning the Battle: One patient’s strateies for winning the day, everyday
- Ask the JHVC: Diet and Illness
(part 1 of 2)
- The Vasculitis Center: In the News
- An AVID Fan – Building the ANCA-Associated Vasculitis Index on Damage
- Know your Medications: Bactrim
- Clinic Corner: New Clinical Trail for ANCA-Associated Vasculitis
Spring/Fall 2004 (Open complete newsletter)
- A Patient Story: Boxer in Full Bloom (Mr. Harry Bloom – Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis)
- Why SO MANY
Forms? Article on clinic and the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act
- Patient Perspectives: OK, So I have Vasculitis. Now What?
- The Rest of the Story: Follow-up on a featured patient
- The Vasculitis Center: In the News
- Clinic Corner: The Role of a Physican Assistant
Winter 2004 (Open complete newsletter)
- A Patient Story: The Odyssey of David Stanton (Wegener’s Granulomaitosis)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Shingles
- Research Update
- Robert Townsley
- Volunteer Program: Contact Information
- Clinic Corner: Spreading Her Talents Around (Ms. Harrison’s new position)
Summer/Fall 2003 (Open complete newsletter)
- A Patient Story: The Amos Family (Takayasu’s Arteritis)
- Takayasu’s Arteritis
- Patient Care Coordination Team
- Dr. Hellmann’s Teaching Award
- Aerobic-a-thon for the Vasculitis Center
- FAQ: Azathioprine
- Welcome Aboard, Dr. Levine
- Greek Lessons
- Volunteer Program
- Clinic Corner: New Clinical Laboratory system
Spring 2003 (Open complete newsletter)
- A Patient Story: Of Ear’s and Emails (Stacey LaBahn – Cogan’s Syndrome)
- New Faces in the Vasculitis Center
- Frequently Asked Questions: Methotrexate
- Cochlear Implants
- Introduction of Dr. Alicia Rodrigues-Pla
- Clinic Corner: New Phone Message for Thursday Clinics
Winter 2003 (Open complete newsletter)
- Grappling With A Mighty Monster
- Frequently Asked Questions: Hemorrhagic cystitis
- What is drug-induced (“hemorrhagic”) cystitis and how can it be prevented?
- How would I know that I developed hemorrhagic cystitis?
- Dr. Stone Receives K24 Award
- History of Vasculitis: From Kussmaul to Kawasaki, Part Two
- Clinic Corner: Getting to the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center
Fall 2002 (Open complete newsletter)
- History of Vasculitis: From Kussmaul to Kawasaki Frequently Asked Questions: Vasculitic Neuropathy
- What are peripheral nerves?
- How did the vasculitis damage my nerves?
Patient Collage A Happier Outcome
- Clinic Corner: Introducing Lourdes
Summer 2002 (Open complete newsletter)
- Vasculitis Center to Johns Hopkins Bayview
- Smoking Cessation Equals Success
- Contact Information at Our New Location
- Patient Collage
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do I have to have bloodwork checked frequently?
- What A Difference A Day Makes
- Clinic Corner: Understanding your Medical Insurance 101
Spring 2002 (Open complete newsletter)
- The Eternal Gift
- A Team Approach to Takayasu’s
- The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center Website: A New Look
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Because I have vasculitis, is there any special diet I should be on?
- Will my vasculitis return?
- Patient Collage
- Proteomics: The Clinician’s Tea Leaves?
- Clinic Corner: Minimizing the side-effects of Prednisone
Winter 2002 (Open complete newsletter)
- The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center: Origins
- Welcome of Chasity Harrison
- Vasculitis Center Statistics
- Vasculitis and the Dickersons: A Family Affair
- American College of Rheumatology Conference
- High Dose Cyclophosphamide (CYC)
- Thank you for recent contributions to the Vasculitis Center
- Clinic Corner: Ways to prevent side-effects of Cyclophosphamide (CYC)
Fall 2001 (Open complete newsletter)
- Introduction of the Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center Newsletter
- Updates of several current research projects
- WGET: Introduction, funding, and current enrollment
- Infectious Causes of Giant Cell Arteritis
- Patients’ Quality of Life in Giant Cell Arteritis
- Clinic Corner: Ways to make your appointment run smoothly
Below please find a list of journal articles.
- Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic antibodies. Arthritis Rheum. 1998; 41:1521-1537. Hoffmann G, Specks U.
- “Test Characteristics Of Immunofluorescence And ELISA Tests In 856 Consecutive Patients With Possible ANCA-Associated Conditions”. Arthritis Care & Research 2000; 13(6): 424-434. Stone JH, Talor M, Stebbing J, et al. Buerger’s
- Thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger’s Disease). N Eng J Med. 2000; 343:864-870. Olin J. Central Nervous System Vasculitis
- Primary angiitis of the central nervous system: diagnostic criteria and clinical approach. Cleve Clin J Med. 1992; 59:293-306. Calabrese L, Furlan A, Gragg L, et al.
- Vasculitis in the central nervous system. Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 7:1189-1201. Calabrese L, Duna G, Lie J.
- Sensitivities of noninvasive tests for central nervous system vasculitis: a comparison of lumbar puncture, computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging. J Rheumatol. 1994;21(7):1277-82. Stone JH, Pomper MG, Roubenoff R, Miller TJ, Hellmann DB. Churg-Strauss Syndrome
- Churg-Strauss Syndrome: Clinical study and long-term follow-up of 96 patients. Medicine. 1999; 78:26-37. Guillevin L, Cohen P, Gayraud M, et al. Cryoglobulinemia
- A role for hepatitis C virus infection in patients with Type II cryoglobulinemia. N Engl J Med. 1992; 327:1490. Angello V, Chung R, Kaplan L.
- Cryoglobulinemic vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum. 1999; 42:2507-2516. Lamprecht P, Gause A, Gross W. General
- Small Vessel vasculitis. N Engl J Med. 1997; 337:1512-23. Jennette J, Falk R.
- Membranoprolifertive glomerulonephritis associated with hepatitis C virus infection. N Eng J Med. 1993; 328:465-470. Johnson R, Gretch D, Yamabe H, et al.
- Nomenclature and classification of vasculitis: Plus ca change, plus c’est las meme chose. Arthritis Rheum. 1994; 37:181-6. Lie J.
- Differentiating the vasculitides. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 1994; 20:409. Mandell B, Hoffmann G.
- Immune-medicated inner ear disease. Curr Opin Rheum. 2000; 12:32-40. Stone J, Francis H.
- Vasculitis: A Collection of Pearls and Myths. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2001; 27:677-728. Stone J, Calabrese L, Hoffman G, Pusey C, Hunder G, Hellmann D.
- “Essential” Cutaneous vasculitis: what every Rheumatologist should know about vasculitis of the skin. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2001; 13:23-34. Stone J, Nousari H.
- Urticarial vasculitis. Curr Opin Rheum. 2000; 12:24-31. Wisnieski J. Giant Cell Arteritis
- How does previous corticosteroid treatment affect the biopsy findings in giant cell (temporal) arteritis? Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 987-992. Achkar A, Lie J, Hunder G, O’Fallon M, Gabriel S.
- Visual prognosis in giant cell arteritis. Ophthalmology. 1993; 100:550-562. Aiello P, Trautmann J, McPhee T, Kunselman A, Hunder G.
- Efficacy of unilateral versus bilateral temporal artery biopsies for the diagnosis of giant cell arteritis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1999; 128:211-215. Boyev L, Miller N, Green W.
- Increased incidence of aortic aneurysm and dissection in giant cell (temporal) arteritis. Ann Int Med. 1995; 122:502-7. Evans J, O’Fallon W, Hunder G.
- Daily and alternate-day corticosteroid regimens in treatment of giant cell arteritis. Comparison in a prospective study. Ann Intern Med. 1975; 82:613-618. Hunder G, Sheps S, Allen G, et al.
- Visual manifestations of temporal arteritis. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2001; 27:781-97. Miller N.
- The pathogenesis of giant cell arteritis. J Rheumatol. 2000; 2:517-522. Weyand C.
- 8. Chlamydia pneumoniae and Temporal Arteritis: Failure to detect Chlamydia pneumoniae by polymerase chain reaction in 90 cases and 90 controls. Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 46(4):1056-60. Regan MJ, Wood BJ, Hsieh Y-H, et al.